Monday, 16 November 2015

A New Direction?

This is titled a new direction but it is the same concept as the last few posts but just using a different subject and going extreme with the edging. I stumbled across images by a guy called Cafini, he recorded motion in one image against a dark background so that the movement and colour were the main focus. They really are stunning images.

It was much harder to work out this technique than I thought it was going to be, I understood how the method and how it should work, however, getting it to work was a whole other story. I eventually managed to get some images that are capturing the essence of what Cafini's work is showing, but I have a long way to go before it reaching anything that I am truly proud of.

To take it a step further than just viewing my poor attempts at capturing motion I have edited my images using the find edge technique to see if I could just highlight the main lines and therefore the movement.

Here are my results:

I do like how these turned out in the end, as it has captured the movement, however, I do need to try this with a full body movement to get some further experiments done.

The response from my Mum - "At least those ballet lessons when you were little have now had some use!"

And on another positive note, we managed to find two of the pinhole cameras that were put up at the beginning of September, so fingers crossed for some good results.

Tuesday, 3 November 2015

Development of the idea...

And I really must go and pick up the pinhole cameras before the weather makes them inaccessible until after the winter! Will check to see how long they have been up for first before braving the muddy fields and nettles.

On with the show, after having a quick look at the first few reviews that came in after the new images were posted (you know the A-Ha inspired ones), I have been having another fiddle with some images that I took of the boys playing at the local park.

I think that the subject and the angles that the images are taken at really plays into how well this technique works, and the overall result of the final image. During this process I created the original image and then played around with the different effects to see what I could do to boost the image.

Here we go...

This is the original image once completed, I have run a couple of adjustments over it to brighten the image a little to bring out the detail further.

On with the playing, I used a duplicate image and ran a find edge filter to create the white lines that are evident in the final image. I quite like this as it makes the figures a bit crisper on each of the layers.

I do like a good bit of black and white in photographs, so I thought I would try it out on this image and see the result. I have added in a further duplicate image to find the edges and changed the settings a little to boost the outlines. I really like this image, the grainy effect on the original image is interesting as it is in contrast with the bold edges that have been overlaid.